Replicating the name of our signature master's degree, we are renaming our School to the School of Human Resources & Labor Relations. The purpose of this historic change is to more accurately express "who we are" and what we offer; namely, an educational and scholarly emphasis on the contemporary and evolving human resource and labor relations needs of our profession.
This change in our name is, furthermore, symbolic of our vision and continuing efforts to offer the premier graduate program of our kind in the world. It also highlights the priority goals and objectives set out in our new Strategic Plan to achieve our vision and the steps we have taken in conjunction with our distinguished Advisory Board to refine our curriculum and programming to educate the next generation of global leaders in human resources and labor relations.
This decision follows lengthy deliberations among our faculty, with other departments across the University, and with our external Advisory Board, as well as a vote by our alumni. With a 97% favorable response from a vote of our alumni and full support from our Advisory Board, our faculty voted unanimously to endorse our new name. Our new name becomes effective July 1st.
Putting this change in context, here is the history of our School's names:
1956: MSU President Hannah established the Labor & Industrial Relations Center to engage in research and outreach education in labor and personnel management.
1962: The Center was brought into the College of Social Science, which established the School of Labor & Industrial Relations.
1965: Our School established the Master of Labor & Industrial Relations.
2006: Our School renames the master's degree to the Master of Human Resources & Labor Relations.
2010: MSU renames our School to the School of Human Resources & Labor Relations.